Re: multilib question

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
On Wed, 2005-11-09 at 22:06 -0800, Till Straumann wrote:

I want to build gcc/newlib with the following variants:

-mcpu=860 -soft-float
-mcpu=603e -Dmpc8260
-mcpu=604
-mcpu=7400 -mabi=altivec -maltivec -mvrsave=yes
-mcpu=7400 -mabi=altivec -maltivec -mvrsave=no
-mcpu=7400 -mabi=altivec -mno-altivec

how do I have to set the MULTILIB_xxx variables in 't-rtems' ?

OK, let me simplify my question:

I want something like MULTILIB_EXTRA_OPTS but it should only
apply to one specific variant. E.g., -mcpu=7400 should always
activate -mabi=altivec but -mabi=altivec should not be active
on other cpus.

T.

It's documented in
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gccint/

Got that but it only describes the simplest cases. I also dug through 'genmultilib' etc. but I thought I ask if someone has an easy explanation...

Search for MULTILIB*, the documentation is spread across several chapters. Also, check gcc/config/rs6000/rs6000.[ch], there are other macros being involved (compiler defaults and implicit flags)

The details of how to achieve your objective are far from being trivial
and beyond the scope of this list. It's not possible to answer this in
one sentence.

The brute force approach would be: Set up a vector of compiler flags containing _all_ flags being used. Then expand all possible permutations of this vector. Afterwards start minimizing the resulting matrix by applying MULTILIB_* rules.

An easier approach would be to start with the existing t-rtems and to
try gradually adding one variant after the other. This way you at least
avoid side-effects you might not be aware about (e.g. the implicit
defaults of the default multilib variant - It's missing from your list
above and often not visible in t-* files)

Ralf