Re: ppc multlibs and BSP removal was Re: powerpc altivec support

Sergei Organov wrote:
Ralf Corsepius <ralf.corsepius@rtems.org> writes:

[...]

Well, as I understand it from digging in GCC's and RTEMS sources,
powerpc-rtems-gcc defaults to "sysv-eabi" (whatever this is).

All I can say is:

* we are using -mcall-sysv. AFAIU, this means we are using SYSV calling conventions.

* The default stack boundary (This is the term GCC uses) is 8.

* -mno-eabi switches the stack boundary to 16.

* Explicitly passing -meabi doesn't seem to have any effect on the stack
boundary. Therefore, I conclude the implicit default is -meabi.

* ATM, the multilibs are being built *explicitly* using -mno-eabi,
i.e. newlib and GCC's libs are being built with a stack boundary of 16.
According to a comment in rs6000.c, this implies they are EABI and SYSV
compatible.

Except that for RTEMS building all the libraries with -meabi does
make sense as it decreases resulting executable size (and slightly
increases speed).

* There doesn't seem to be a preprocessor define denoting if using EABI
or SYSV.

So - what are we using? I don't know.

AFAIU, we are using SYSV for newlib/GCC (-mno-eabi -mcall-sysv) and a
corrupted multilib'ed cpukit (-mno-eabi -mcall-sysv -DPPC_ABI_EABI).

Except that PPC_ABI_EABI seems to have exactly the same effect on the
code as PPC_ABI_SYSV except that in the former case thread context's r2
is initialized with current r2 that can't break SYSV. So "corrupted"
doesn't in fact apply.

Strange thing is that CPU_MINIMUM_STACK_FRAME_SIZE is defined to 8 no
matter if SYSV or EABI is defined. And that's the case for both old and
new exception processing. Should be 16 for SYSV, I think. I myself
always use EABI (-meabi -msdata=eabi), so this bug doesn't affect my
code, -- don't know about those who use SYSV.

If these are the only two differences, is it possible to just use the tigher stack alignment and always initialize r2 for EABI? Then they would be the same from RTEMS multilib perspective.

What else varies in RTEMS based upon the two APIs?

--joel