Problem building the ss20021007

Am Don, 2002-10-24 um 11.26 schrieb Paul Whitfield:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >>Do you have a environment variable
> >>called AR set to NO?
> >>
> >>This could be the cause.
> >
> > No, all this indicates that your PATH is set up wrong and that you are
> > trying to apply a non-functional or bogus toolchain.
> >
> > Furthermore, you MUST NOT set CC or GCC nor AR, NM or whatever from your
> > environment before running configure - This definitely is wrong!
>
> Hi Ralf,
>
> Sorry if my advice was wrong, but certainly I have
> always had to (on older snap-shots, 4-5-0) set either create a
> link or set GCC=cc.
Hmm, the former is true for 4.5.0 under cygwin (It's a deficiency in
autoconf-2.13 causing problems), but I doubt the latter (GCC=cc),
because GCC is an interal autoconf variable used to denote if using GCC
or not.

The symlink/link/copy gcc->cc however should not be necessary with
rtems-snapshots (Untested, I am not using cygwin.), which uses a newer
autoconf where this autoconf problem is supposed to be solved.

> Before I offered this advice I did confirm that it works!
Odd.

Apologies if I may have sounded rude, but having to reiterate the same
answers twice a week is a bit annoying.

> As for the second problem I was suggesting that there was an
> INCORRECT environment variable AR that was set to NO!
Well, yes, this indicates a bug somewhere inside of the configuration,
however this actually points at two problems:

1. Why doesn't the configure script find the appropriate ar?
The cause for this probably is lurking somewhere in Joe's
environment/installation/setup.

2. The configuration should abort or complain explicitly if "ar" is not
found.

Ralf