Using Linux from Win98 was Re: Anybody using Windows 98 for RTEMS GNU tools?

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:35:22 -0700 '"Aaron J. Grier" <aaron at frye.com>' wrote:
> you could also think about putting a separate linux
> box on your network then you get the best of both worlds

I have used VNC ("virtual network computer") software for this purpose, and found that VNC worked well and was much less resource intensive on the Win98 machine than a full blown X server installation such as Hummingbird.
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

The viewer and server are both GPL, so you can copy it and use it around everywhere.  The viewer is only a couple hundred KB, so you can even carry it around on a floppy and use it on machines where you don't always work (just run the executable, there is nothing to "install" in terms of registry entries, etc.).

-- Chris Caudle