pc386 output not valid

I've followed the instructions to the letter ( I think ) in the pc386
HOWTO to get a bootable RTEMS application diskette.  This includes
removing stage1 from the disk after the GRUB FS disk is created.

Unfortunately, when I try to run any of the sample tests ( *.exe ) using
grub 0.4, via "kernel=/hello.exe"

I get the error:

"Invalid or unsupported executable format"

The file format is elf32-i386.  Changing the format to coff via objcopy
results in the same error message.

Any ideas?  The last time this worked for me was with a Linux hosted
coff toolset.
 I now use a Solaris 2.6 hosted elf toolset.