.exe without symbol

Emmanuel Raguet wrote:

> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> > Emmanuel Raguet wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We actually port the remote debugger on powerPc and after
> > > some modifications in the code, I have re-tested the remote
> > > debugger on pc386.
> > >
> > > It appears that the ".exe" files from sample directory have no
> > > symbol even with -g option. The ".obj" files have the symbols.
> > >
> > > Is there a "strip" performed during the generation ?
> >
> > No
> >
> > > Is it normal ?
> >
> > No.
> >

> > > It appears that, without symbol, it becomes hard to debug something ;)
> > >

> > Are you using the mcp750 and its bootloader from rtems-snapshots?
>
> The problem occurs with pc386 BSP.

I am not using this BSP myself, but I suspect the make-exe define in
pc386.cfg to be responsible for this, because it strips/removes several
sections:

        $(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS_LD) -Wl,-Ttext,$(RELOCADDR) \
            -Wl,--oformat,elf32-i386 -o $(basename $@).obj \
            -o $(basename $@).obj \
            $(LINK_OBJS) $(LINK_LIBS)
        $(OBJCOPY) -O elf32-i386 \
            --remove-section=.rodata \
            --remove-section=.comment \
            --remove-section=.note \
            --strip-unneeded $(basename $@).obj $@
        $(OBJCOPY) -O binary $(basename $@).obj $(basename $@).bin

I don't know the reasons why these sections are stripped (May-be, they
indicate a linker script problem), but --strip-unneeded also strips off debug
symbols, AFAIK.

Ralf.

--
Ralf Corsepius
Forschungsinstitut fuer Anwendungsorientierte Wissensverarbeitung (FAW)