RTEMS and tools on CD-ROM

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Stephan Wilms wrote:

> Does anyone know wether it would be possible to obtain RTEMS and
> all RTEMS developemen tools (mostly GNU tools as I understand it
> on a CD-ROM ? We would really prefer a comprehensive distribution
> to start with, if one is available.

At this point, there is not a CD-ROM distribution specifically of RTEMS
and tools. This is something that I would very much like to see happen.
Based upon the size of versions of toolkits like Jiri's ERC32CCS (30+
Mbytes compressed), then CD-ROM becomes the only viable way to distribute
toolset binaries.  If you look at the size of even the source for RTEMS
and the tools in compressed archives, it is quite large.

Putting together such a distribution takes time to decide what is on the
CD and to actually assemble and test it.  Then there is the simple issue
of would enough copies be sold to justify the investment.  If folks don't
mind, I would like to as some basic questions about this. [And if you do
mind, I have already asked it. :)]

+ Does this interest you?

+ What would you be willing to pay for a CD distribution?  This would not
include support -- it would just be an alternative to downloading and
assembling the tools and documentation.

+ What would you expect/like on the CD?

   - Obvious items like original source for individual tools, RTEMS
     patches, RTEMS source.
   - A merged, prepatched source tree which could be built with the
     source still on the CD?
   - Prebuilt binaries of the toolset (without prebuilt RTEMS
         at this point)
   - For what hosts?  Linux?  Solaris?  Cygwin?
   - For what CPU families?  m68k? i386? PowerPC? SPARC? MIPS? etc.
   - RTEMS documentation in what formats?  HTML? PDF? info? PostScript?

If enough people are interested in this at the right target price, then I
can make a business case for doing a CD-ROM.  Otherwise, it is not worth
the time/money that has to be invested.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is a beneficial thing to do and would
significantly ease startup.